Cali Girl in NYC

I've lived in California for 24 years, and decided to move clear across the country for law school. this will be where all can come to laugh at me as i die in the humidity and freeze in the snow as my california body adjusts to life in new york city...through this blog, i hope to have everyone else suffer just a little with me as i make my way through law school

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

birthday #2 -- partying down in the l-e-s of n-y-c in the c-o-l-d

so, we celebrated my birthday out here in new york on saturday night. one of the coldest freaking nights of my life...of course, having my birthday in january, what else could you expect. even spending my last two birthdays in oregon, i dont think it was ever this cold...anyways!!

we started off the night with a "girls-only" (sara, sylvia, myself, and eventually heather) dinner at tio pepe's. it is right around the corner from a subway stop, but as it was butt-freezing cold, sara and i decided to cab it up to the west village for dinner. the food was amazing. we all ordered the same thing--shrimp fajitas--because the waiter said it was his favorite thing on the menu. when they brought the food, though, there was no shrimp. odd...somehow, the waiter had written down "vegetarian fajitas" instead of "shrimp" even though we had sat there and talked about it for a few minutes. but, he was super nice, and brought us a bowl of garlic shrimp. dear lord, i almost plotzed (yeah, i dont know how to spell it, or the actual meaning of the word, but i enjoy it nonetheless).
i had mentioned early in the evening to the waiter that we were out for my birthday, so when they brought out our desert and there was no candle or singing or anything, i was a little disappointed. i was even MORE disappointed when they brought out desert with a candle and sang to someone ELSE in teh restaurant. well fine. so i was a little sad...but then! right before we left, the waiter comes up to me and hands me a flower he had made out of a paper napkin and said he was sorry they didnt sing and happy birthday. it was way better than a stupid song! the flower made my night....
from there, we took teh world's longest cab ride over to the lower east side (you wouldnt believe the amount of people out driving on a saturday night in new york city!!), so this club called the SKINny. i had called ahead and reserved a private room for us...although, it was under the name "suzanne." *sigh* i swear, i can say "susannAH" twelve times and they still get "suzanne." whatever.
anyways, we get there, i talk to the bartender to find out where we are supposed to be and they say we are up in the dj's booth. we head up there adn there is already a group of people up there. these two girls come up to me and say, in teh bitchiest of all bitchy tones, "uhm, this is a private birthday party." and i say, "i know. its mine." yeah, im a badass. anyway, i turned around, went back to the bartender, and he went up and kicked them out. HAHA!! its always nice to get your way on your birthday!!! so, the dj's booth was up these horribly steep stairs that i almost killed myself on a couple of times--but that might have been because i was wearing 27-inch heels and was just a little on the tipsy side (a girl never reveals when she is slobbering drunk). but the room was super cool. the dj was right there, and he was AWESOME, and there were couches and all of my friends, and some of their friends! and it was a good time all around.
from there, we moved on to another bar a few blocks away. i hadnt really wanted to leave, and, since it was my birthday, i pouted until alex said he would give me a piggy back ride all the way there. i do enjoy being spoiled....
to alex's credit, he was able to carry me about four blocks before he had to stop. well, he also took a couple breaks...i think he almost sprained his knee at one point, too, which was funny to me at the time...
so, he put me down about a block and a half away from where we were going to end up, and i stood pouting on the corner until casey came back and gave me a piggy back ride the rest of the way. of course, he wasnt as nice as alex, and basically dropped me when he was done...but whatever. i was carried! (disclaimer: im never this annoying when its not my birthday!! well, not "never" but less likely!)
i couldnt tell you the name of the next club we were at, or where it was. all i know is that we went in and it was somewhat crowded, and we walked to this backroom that was all white and no one was there and clockwork orange was playing on a large tv...odd. oh!! and the bathroom had chalkboard-paint on the walls and provided chalk so you could write! and write i did! it was fun!!
from there, a lot of people left, and andy and i decided to walk back to this bar piano's that ive been to a few times that we both like. andy didnt carry me, though, so i had to walk 6 blocks in heels. and ice. and snow. on my birthday. damn him for having pride! =) i got to piano's, was there for like 10 minutes, then decided to go home. what a waste of walking...

and then i spent the whole next day avoiding phone calls and sleeping and not studying. hurrah for birthdays!



the dinner girls....sarah in the blue with print, sylvia in the solid blue

zach and i


i love love LOVE this picture of matt and i! oh i love him



my home-town friend erin was able to break out of her job as a first year law associate for a couple hours and come out and celebrate with me!! unfortunately, she had to leave early so she could be back at the office bright and early on sunday morning!!



me n andy diamond.
2/3 of the forority--me and heather.....i dont have ANY pictures of alex...odd...




casey with erin and her friend....uuhm....juliana? juliet? julia? something like that...



okay, so, living in new york, especially in teh winter, does not afford one many opportunities to become tan. if anything, one tends to become translucent. its all very depressing. so, i decided that i was going to have some friggin color on my birthday, and heather suggested i do mystic tan, which is the spray tan, so you dont have to deal with uv rays etc etc. so, i said, okay, ill do that. and heather proceeded to give me some advice. she told me that i need to be extra careful with my feet and hands because they tend to have rougher skin and soak up the tanning stuff more than other parts of your body. the tanning place provides this lotion stuff that you are supposed to apply liberally to both feet and hands...
well, okay. so, i thought i DID apply liberally to my hands. i really did! and my feet...well. heres the thing. i figured, its friggin JANUARY who is going to see my feet? so i rubbed a little of the lotion on my ankles and quickly over the top of my feet. yeah, neither of these attempts were sufficient. my hands are okay...they are slightly orange, but for the most part okay. until you see the crease between my thumn and forefinger....
but my feet. they are DISGUSTING. the top of my feet look diseased because the tanning stuff stained my toenails this orangish-brown color. you have no idea how gross it is. and the bottom of my feet....well....you can see exactly how i stand on my feet because they are horribly horribly stained. and just your luck, i took a picture!!! now, the picture isnt that good. i took it when i got home from my birthday party, so i wasnt in the clearest of mind frames to take a decent picture....but you can definitely see where it is stained and where it is not.....and now imagine, the part that is stained is a deep dark orange...yeah, i am one hot mamma....


6 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Summer said...

HAHAHA!! so, overall, do you recommend going mystic? i heard its kinda pricey, but id be willing to try it out (after SLATHERING my hands and feet with the stuff) if its worth it...sounds like a fun bday tho! wish i coulda been there!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger susannah said...

i wish you couldve been here, too!!!!!

and i think i would recommend it...i looked tan-ish right?

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No comments from mom on this b-day party except to remind you of your good training: always celebrate birthday MONTH. You've got another weekend girlfriend! This time, stick to cake maybe. Take good care of yr brain cells. They come in handy.
luv.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Summer said...

and remember: ABC. ALWAYS BE CAREFUL!! hehe...

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Happy Birthday. Nice pictures. Overall the party seems to have been fun, but I am sorry about your poor feet though.But it was really sweet of the guys to carry you around like that.
Drop into my blog for some unique birthday gift and party ideas.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your right, Sum. A-B-C AND A-C-B.
We'll leave the "M" off that final acronym in deference to any good taste that might remain. so, yes, always be careful AND always celebrate birthday month just about sums up a successful life philosophy for the youth of our day.

speaking of acronyms, the mess I have to type in orde to post something here is pretty bizarre...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home