Cali Girl in NYC

I've lived in California for 24 years, and decided to move clear across the country for law school. this will be where all can come to laugh at me as i die in the humidity and freeze in the snow as my california body adjusts to life in new york city...through this blog, i hope to have everyone else suffer just a little with me as i make my way through law school

Monday, August 21, 2006

im back! i think i almost died without internet access!!

after DAYS of no internet access, i finally found some poor schmuck who isnt protecting their wireless, and i am mooching off of them!! muahahaha! yeah, im awesome.

so! the past week has been crazy! you know, people warn you of how muggy and nasty the east coast is, but you really cant appreciate it until your skin is constantly drenched in moistness...its especially SUPER fun when you are down in the subway, sweating through your tiny tank top and shorts. seriously--air condition people!

so, when i got into the city last week, i was staying at my best friend summer's older brother's (justin) apartment on the upper east side. in case any of you dont know, thats about a 45 minute to an hour subway trip. it shouldnt take that long, but it does. so, for about 5 days i was travelling between justin's apartment and my bare, empty furniture, posession-less apartment in brooklyn heights. each trip i made, i would lug bags of clothing, usually in plastic bags because i didnt have a backpack or anything since they were all packed sitting in a shipping yard. i think at this point i have new permanent lines on my hands from where the circulation was continuously cut off.

thursday (wednesday?) night, i went out with justin, his friends sean and paul, and two of paul's friends from san diego who were in town for some volleyball tournament. we went to dinner at this TINY little asian restaurant in the les (lower east side). it must of been a japanese restaurant because they are known for their sake, but japanese doesnt sound right... anyway, i had AMAZING shrimp (drunken spicy shrimp they were called...soaked in sake...excuse me as i drool), and sake for the first time. ive decided something--i dont like sake. i mean, its not horrible or anything, but its really not my first choice. i sipped mine cautiously as i watched justin and sean basically split the huge bottle of sake. the dinner ended very well because the three guys decided to treat the three of us girls (ladies?). i love free food!! =)
afterwards, we went to moby's restaurant for tea and desert. now, i dont know if you know who moby is, but he is a musical artists specializing in dance/techno-ish music (if you heard his songs, you would recognize them. a lot have been on commercials, etc). so, his music is good. his restaurant is...well, i wasnt that impressed. but that might have been because my glass of merlot smelled and tasted like mildew. no joke.
now, im not quite the wine-y that, say, my father is, but i feel i can tell when a wine is good or bad. when a wine smells and tastes like ASS, my guess is that the wine is bad! i was so bummed. 8 friggin dollars for nasty ass wine that i didnt even drink. and then i got a raspberry cupcake...i wasnt too impressed by that, either, but at least it didnt taste like mildew.
justin's friend paul got a tea called "peach cobbler." i didnt taste it, but i could smell it all the way down at the other end of the table. it smelled a-MAZING. so, it seems that if you feel the need to go to moby's restuarant, get the tea and nothing else...

friday. ah friday....
so, by friday, i am exhausted. im still (even today!) not used to the time change, im stressed about moving 3000 miles away from home, im staying on someone's couch, i dont have any of my personal belongings...ick, stressed. friday afternoon (early afternoon, to be exact), the shipping company is supposed to deliver my belongings. i had hired two guys off the internet (emove.com--awesome!) to help me move the stuff up and into my apartment. i thought the shipping company would come and deliver my stuff (which was on a pallet) onto the sidewalk, and the movers would come later and help me move in. boy, was i WRONG. apparently, i was supposed to have the movers standing by (paying by the hour, of course) from 11-4 so they could be there to help unload the truck. so, the shipping guy gets there, and freaks out because there is no one there. i panic and start calling the movers to see if they can come two hours earlier than i had requested, which of course they cant. as the shipping guy and i are standing on the sidewalk staring at his truck trying to figure out what to do, i get a call from the shipping guy's boss, who proceeds to bitch me out for being unprepared, and, basically, for being a moron. it was fun. and special. we hang up and i get another call from someone else at the shipping company who is upset with me as well, and talks to me like an idiot. its at this point that things start to fall apart for me. i can feel the tears coming and my exhaustion taking over, and im starting to crumble. this, thankfully, puts the shipping guy in a much NICER mood and he tries to calm me down, and im just like, whatever, take my stuff. leave. which he did.
i go up to my empty apartment, sit on the bare, naked floor, and start sobbing. i call my mother and my father, babbling incoherently to them. i call a friend and leave a sobbing message on his voicemail which he later laughs about how hysterical i was =). as im having this wonderful melt-down moment, someone knocks on my door. i answer it with tears streaming down my face, mascara all over, and im a nasty sweaty mess from the afore mentioned humidity. its the gas man. he kinda stands there perplexed for a moment before he timidly says, "uh...i had an appointment to turn your gas on..." i nod, apologize for the sobbing and go back to my place on the empty floor where i sit, quietly crying, until he leaves...which was damn quickly.
but, it all worked out in the end. i shelled (well, my parents, hopefully!!!) =) out another few hundered dollars for a saturday delivery of my belongings, new movers (one of whom was nasty and sweaty and old and kept flirting with me..."im sorry to keep staring but you have BEAUTIFUL eyes." "thanks, scary moving man who knows where i live. i think i will just smile and thank you until i can get you out of my apartment and lock the deadbolt!"), and i have my stuff!! last night was the second night i got to sleep in my own bed!!

now, if i could just get some shelves and drawers in here i could pick all 17 boxes worth of contents off my floor and organize!! ah well, another project for another day....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home