Cali Girl in NYC

I've lived in California for 24 years, and decided to move clear across the country for law school. this will be where all can come to laugh at me as i die in the humidity and freeze in the snow as my california body adjusts to life in new york city...through this blog, i hope to have everyone else suffer just a little with me as i make my way through law school

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

salvaging a bit of california in new york

*note* i am about to attempt to link to certain things/places/etc. bear (bare?) with me!

**note 2** i LIKE not being able to spell correctly!!!!!!!! =)

as most of you know, one of the absolute highlights for me in coming to nyc was that this past spring, they had JUST put in the FIRST trader joe's in the state! (maybe just the area...either way, i was STOOOOKED!!) so, since i arrived here...oh, who am i kidding. ive been planning a trip to trader joe's since i found out i was accepted to school out here! but today was my tj's day. i talked about it last nigth with my friend alex who lives near union square. he said he might go with me today so i should give him a call. so, i called him but he decided that he couldnt be spending any money right now (blah blah blah) but he told me to come by his apartment while i was in the area. so, being the logical thinker i am, i went before tj's because i didnt want any of my frozen goods to melt while i was visiting!
so, off to manhattan i go in my little subway car. it took me maybe 20 minutes to get from my apartment in brooklyn heights to union square in manhattan. 20 minutes, i thought to myself, not bad! my stuff cant get ruined in 20 minutes!!
first to alex's apartment. he lives in this super nice building with a doorman and everything! (apparently i lucked out with the doorman that was on duty. alex said if i had come any earlier, there would have been another guy there who makes it his mission to hit on all of alex's female friends...inappropriate touching and all) i head on up to alex's apartment where we talk about how unfortunate it is to share a wall with an old man who has a lot of sex, how his neighbors need to get blinds because they have a lot of sex (alex, why dont you just not watch them and close your blinds? there was no good response to that question), and slowly the conversation drifted off onto one of my favorite topics...sharks.
i seem to frighten people with my phobia. alex decided that i should go into therapy (duh), but he suggested that i need to become *special* friends with a shark first. he prescribed many nights of shark spooning....i guess you had to be there.

anyway! on to the important stuff at hand! tj's!!
as it is the only tjs in the area, it is in high demand. ive heard stories about a line down the street constantly. the reality, i was told, was that you might have to wait like 25 minutes in the check outline. thats not bad. so, i get in and it SMELLS like tjs, which, in turn, smells like california to me. it was very nice. i went through the store quickly grabbing all of my favorite necessities before jumping in the line, and waiting a total of....7 minutes!! score!!!
so, i get to the checkout counter and im stoked because im in tjs and it took no time at all, and the cashiere notices my tjs tote that i have as being from california so we talk about how great california is, good times. i leave the store with a huge grin on my face, and then it happens. i look next to the tjs exit and what do i see? a whole OTHER tjs store dedicated totally to WINE! score!!!! so, i spend some more time in there, picked out a few bottles of wine (ill let you know how they are!) and go on my merry way to the subway station.
where i wait. 35 minutes. for one damn train. and then i get ON the train and it goes on its jolly way for two whole stations before we stop. and sit. and wait. and wait some more. finally, the train gets going...it took me over an hour to get home. i was PISSED. my frozen stuff was all defrosted (luckily i dont eat meat so i dont think anything is ruined).
it almost ruined my tjs high!!!

now i should go do some reading...yeah! contract law!!!

3 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my red hawaiian print tj bag!! I'm sorry, it must be genetic. You always hurt the ones you love...xomom

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so NOT anonymous! I signed my name...

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger J. Riley said...

A tip: Bring a backpack when you go shopping. Much easier to carry that BST-Free milk that is $.50 cheaper than anywhere else in the city.

Since you're hanging out with Alex all the time now, we'll have to arrange a meetup so I can get my spare keys (read my blog to understand the urgency ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home